Ask an Expert
phone us on 1800 567 2216
9am - 5:30pm Monday - Friday (Eastern time)
My wife and I have recently returned from travelling which incorporated in late April the Beijing to Lhasa journey organised by World expeditions.
For the Beijing to Xian sector we were guided by Qui Ming who we called Milly.
I would like to record what a pleasure it was to have Milly as our guide.
We have travelled extensively in the past and had many guides. Milly stands out as the one we will remember for the exceptional way she looked after our group.
Milly's knowledge, and her ability to explain things, could not have been better. In fact she had so much she could tell us that there was never a moment when she wasn't being asked a question.
She chose where we dined, and ordered for us, after ascertaining what people liked or disliked and we were never disappointed. The restaurants were usually local, not tourist only places, and we appreciated that.
When we had time to ourselves she enquired if there were things we specially wanted to do and made sure we knew how to get there and back and what to expect. On one occasion when all in the group wanted to visit a Houtong she arranged it and came with us in what should have been her time away from us.
We were a group ranging in age from about 40 to 70. She appreciated that, at times, some were getting physically tired and she would vary what we doing to accommodate that.
Above all I will remember with pleasure her sense of humour, her always cheerful demeanour and the extra things she did for us beyond what is not normally expected.
Milly is an exceptional guide and I would recommend her to anyone going to China.
World Expeditions is committed to responsible travel and true sustainability. It was a commitment formed when the company was established, and today, in the face of a multitude of threats to the environment, our commitment is stronger than ever.
Over decades we have honed our responsible travel philosophy and the initiatives we have in the field are continually being assessed and improved to ensure that we minimise our impact and where possible leave behind a positive impression.
We are aligned with Leave No Trace, an international organisation that has set the global standard for outdoor ethics to ensure that our recreation in natural places is sustainable. Through targeted education, research and outreach, its mission is to ensure the long-term health of our natural world. In its simplest form, Leave No Trace is about making good decisions to protect the world we all enjoy. The 7 principles of Leave No Trace that World Expeditions subscribes to are:
- Plan Ahead and Prepare
- Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
- Dispose of Waste Properly
- Leave What You Find
- Minimise Campfire Impacts
- Respect Wildlife
- Be Considerate of Your Hosts and Other Visitors
Visit Leave No Trace to learn more about the information within these seven principles:
- Leave No Trace - Australia
- Leave No Trace - New Zealand
- Leave No Trace - United Kingdom
- Leave No Trace - Canada
- Leave No Trace - USA
Our Responsible Travel policy commits us to genuine sustainability in all aspects of our business planning and operations, specifically:
- Our operations should be managed in a way where the natural and cultural values of the host region are undiminished in the long term. Where possible, World Expeditions engages in partnerships with local environmental groups and/or land managers to actively campaign for conservation or to promote environmental protection and/or rehabilitation.
- We believe that travel should be as rewarding for the host community as it is for you the traveller. We aim to maximise the benefits of tourism for host communities. This includes training and employment of local staff, using local suppliers and assisting in the development of sustainable local businesses.
- We actively minimise the negative effects that tourism can have by ensuring that tourism does not divert resources away from local communities or drive up prices on local resources.
- We provide opportunities for cultural exchange, where locals and visitors alike can share and learn from each other in an environment of mutual respect.
- We contribute to the welfare of the host community. This is epitomised in our COMMUNITY PROJECT TRAVEL program where we organise for our travellers to spend time in disadvantaged villages upgrading basic facilities such as health, education and water access.
- We strives to educate our travellers about the destination and its local cultures as well as providing guidelines on appropriate behaviour to minimise impact.