Ask an Expert
phone us on 1800 567 2216
9am - 5:30pm Monday - Friday (Eastern time)
We visited the Andean school which was built by World Expeditions and presented the children with books, pens, pencils etc which some of us had brought from Australia. The extra weight was worthwhile when we saw the expressions on the children’s faces. I could never imagine children in Australia smiling so broadly at being given an exercise book and pen!
List of Firsts
World Expeditions started in 1975 as a Himalayan trekking company, Australian Himalayan Expeditions.
It was a simple vision – organizing small group treks to Nepal and the Indian Himalaya – but a very important philosophy was established in those earliest of days that has been carried down over three and a half decades.
World Expeditions really were the pioneers of responsible and sustainable tourism – a heritage that we are very proud of.
It was not a coined phrased then, but today it's known as responsible tourism. As trailblazers, there was much effort placed on creating operations that did not negatively impact on the environment and that provided benefit to the local communities.
We evolved our trips beyond the Himalaya to include most continents back in our program in the early 80s.
Innovation was - and has always been - a cornerstone of the World Expeditions philosophy.
- India Cycling and camel riding trips in 1978
- China Cycle – first commercial group in 1978
- Franklin River – first commercial descent in 1978
- Mongolia – first commercial trekking group in 1980
- Tibet – first commercial trekking group in 1981
- Larapinta Trail – first commercial walks in 1995
- Hinchinbrook Island –first commercial kayaking trips in 1987
- Japan – first commercial trekking group in 1999
- Garma Festival – first tourism operator to develop land based travel around festival in 1999
- Community Projects – first Australian tour operator to develop a trips for tourist involved community projects across the globe 1995
- Great Himalaya Trail – first company to offer a full traverse of the newly mapped GHT in 2010
- Sicily on the Rocks with Monique Forestier & Simon Carter - the world's first commercial rock climbing tour in 2016