Ask an Expert
phone us on 1800 567 2216
9am - 5:30pm Monday - Friday (Eastern time)
I had an amazing trip! A once in a lifetime experience, and memories I will cherish forever ... the entire experience from booking to trekking was exceptional, I couldn't expect higher standards.
List of Firsts
World Expeditions started in 1975 as a Himalayan trekking company, Australian Himalayan Expeditions.
It was a simple vision – organizing small group treks to Nepal and the Indian Himalaya – but a very important philosophy was established in those earliest of days that has been carried down over three and a half decades.
World Expeditions really were the pioneers of responsible and sustainable tourism – a heritage that we are very proud of.
It was not a coined phrased then, but today it's known as responsible tourism. As trailblazers, there was much effort placed on creating operations that did not negatively impact on the environment and that provided benefit to the local communities.
We evolved our trips beyond the Himalaya to include most continents back in our program in the early 80s.
Innovation was - and has always been - a cornerstone of the World Expeditions philosophy.
- India Cycling and camel riding trips in 1978
- China Cycle – first commercial group – 1978
- Franklin River – first commercial descent in 1978
- Mongolia – first commercial trekking group in 1980
- Tibet – first commercial trekking group in 1981
- South Coast Track Tasmania – first commercial expedition in 1984
- Larapinta Trail – first commercial walks in 1985
- Hinchinbrook Island –first commercial kayaking trips in 1987
- Japan – first commercial trekking group in 1999
- Garma Festival – first tourism operator to develop land based travel around festival in 1999
- Community Projects – first Australian tour operator to develop a trips for tourist involved community projects across the globe 1995
- Great Himalaya Trail – first company to offer a full traverse of the newly mapped GHT in 2010