Ask an Expert
free call 1300 720 000
9am - 5:30pm Monday - Friday
The trip was an amazing experience. As expected it was physically tough but worth every drop of sweat and mud (no blood fortunately). For me personally, I found the heat hard to adjust to. I expected us to benefit from the shade of the rainforest more than we did and I guess going from a Scottish winter to an equatorial country didn't help. Having said that it didn't detract from my enjoyment, just made it harder work. We were also lucky because all 13 of us got on very well and it was a good mix of people. A special mention has to go to the guides and Danny in particular. I remember when we did the Cycling in the Andes that the guides were good but Danny was excellent. As well as being extraordinarily fit and knowledgeable about adventure stuff he was passionate about Costa Rica, it's environment and future. He had a great sense of humour and as if all that weren't enough he and his team were superb cooks. Although this wasn't everyone's idea of a relaxing holiday I came home envigorated and motivated with stacks of energy - apart from having to negotiate Terminal 5 on it's second day of chaos! I've already been on your website looking for the next potential challenge, if only work didn't get in the way.
World Expeditions is committed to responsible travel and true sustainability. It was a commitment formed when the company was established, and today, in the face of a multitude of threats to the environment, our commitment is stronger than ever.
Over decades we have honed our responsible travel philosophy and the initiatives we have in the field are continually being assessed and improved to ensure that we minimise our impact and where possible leave behind a positive impression.
We are aligned with Leave No Trace, an international organisation that has set the global standard for outdoor ethics to ensure that our recreation in natural places is sustainable. Through targeted education, research and outreach, its mission is to ensure the long-term health of our natural world. In its simplest form, Leave No Trace is about making good decisions to protect the world we all enjoy. The 7 principles of Leave No Trace that World Expeditions subscribes to are:
- Plan Ahead and Prepare
- Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
- Dispose of Waste Properly
- Leave What You Find
- Minimise Campfire Impacts
- Respect Wildlife
- Be Considerate of Your Hosts and Other Visitors
Visit Leave No Trace to learn more about the information within these seven principles:
- Leave No Trace - Australia
- Leave No Trace - New Zealand
- Leave No Trace - United Kingdom
- Leave No Trace - Canada
- Leave No Trace - USA
Our Responsible Tourism Policy commits us to Genuine sustainability in all aspects of our business planning and operations
- Specifically World Expeditions tour operations should be managed in a way where the natural and cultural values of the host region are undiminished in the long term. Where possible, World Expeditions engages in partnerships with local environmental groups and/or land managers to actively campaign for conservation or to promote environmental protection and/or rehabilitation.
- World Expeditions believes that travel should be as rewarding for the host community as it is for you the traveller. We aim to maximise the benefits of tourism for host communities. This includes training and employment of local staff, using local suppliers and assisting in the development of sustainable local businesses.
- We actively minimise the negative effects that tourism can have by ensuring that tourism does not divert resources away from local communities or drive up prices on local resources. World Expeditions provide opportunities for cultural exchange, where locals and visitors alike can share and learn from each other in an environment of mutual respect.
- We contribute to the welfare of the host community. This is epitomised in our COMMUNITY PROJECT TRAVEL program where we organise for our travellers to spend time in disadvantaged villages upgrading basic facilities such as health, education and water access. World Expeditions strives to educate our travellers about the destination and its local cultures as well as providing guidelines on appropriate behaviour to minimise impact.