Ask an Expert
free call 1300 720 000
9am - 5:30pm Monday - Friday
The trip was wonderful, thanks! The local operator, Coast to Coast, were very well organised and especially Danny, the lead guide, was the best guide I have ever seen in action. It was a privilege to be guided by such a well-rounded and versatile person - from navigating and motivating the group, to cooking (delicious food) and patching up blisters. And always with a smile on his face.
I am already planning my next trip with World Expeditions - rafting on the Franklin River in Tasmania.
List of Firsts
World Expeditions started in 1975 as a Himalayan trekking company, Australian Himalayan Expeditions.
It was a simple vision – organizing small group treks to Nepal and the Indian Himalaya – but a very important philosophy was established in those earliest of days that has been carried down over three and a half decades.
World Expeditions really were the pioneers of responsible and sustainable tourism – a heritage that we are very proud of.
Is was not a coined phrased then, but today its known as responsible tourism. As trailblazers, there was much effort placed on creating operations that did not negatively impact on the environment and that provided benefit to the local communities.
We evolved our trips beyond the Himalaya to include most continents back in our program in the early 80s.
Innovation was - and has always been - a cornerstone of the World Expeditions philosophy.
- India Cycling and camel riding trips in 1977
- China Cycle – first commercial group – 1978
- Franklin River – first commercial descent in 1978
- Mongolia – first commercial trekking group in 1980
- Tibet – first commercial trekking group in 1981
- South Coast Track Tasmania – first commercial expedition in 1984
- Larapinta Trail – first commercial walks in 1985
- Hinchinbook Island –first commercial kayaking trips in 1987
- Japan – first commercial trekking group in 1999
- Garma Festival – first tourism operator to develop land based travel around festival in 1999
- Community Projects – first Australian tour operator to develop a trips for tourist involved community projects across the globe 1995
- Great Himalaya Trail – first company to offer a full traverse of the newly mapped GHT in 2010